Thursday, December 28, 2006

Welcome to my world...


Hello! I don't do New Year's resolutions, but at the beginning of each year, I make a list of things I'd like to try to accomplish in the coming months. Last year my list included quitting smoking and going to Ireland, and I did both those things. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything as big and grand in 2007, but one thing I would like to do is write more than a few dashed lines of poetry early in the morning (the only time I've made time for writing up until now). Hence, this blog...

I'm not sure what direction this thing will take. There will be a little poetry, a little talk of gardening, and a lot of random blathering, I'm sure.

Here is a garden poem I wrote a few years ago:

Legacy

Maybe it’s a legacy from my grandfather,
this urge to work the soil
To nurture young seedlings through wind and heat
To stand in the sun and revel in life created -
or mourn its loss
To harvest, as days grow shorter,
the fruits of summer’s labor,
and share and preserve them
against long winter’s night
To await the warm breath of spring
and begin again, as he did,
this enterprise of hope.

The picture is one I took in Ireland when I was there in August. It's at Glendalough, where St. Kevin lived. I didn't get to spend nearly enough time there, and someday I'm going back...

Talk with you soon!


No comments: