Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A bad case of cabin fever...


In the midst of winter, I dream of green...
Last week at this time, it got to be almost 50 degrees outside. I spent the afternoon on a lovely walk in the canyon along the Snake River. Next day, the weather started changing, and now we are in the 6th day running of cold and wind…

After reading about what others around the country are enduring, weather-wise, I realize that my whining about a little cold and wind is pretty self-absorbed. It’s barely half-way through January, for heaven’s sake! What should I expect?

There was a time when the weather outside wouldn’t have affected me much at all. Those were the days when I worked indoors all day, for someone else, and it was my occupation, and not the wind, that held me hostage within four walls. I didn’t have time to revel in the changing seasons at close range – just watched them pass through a window, or while driving to get from point A to point B.

Now I work for myself, and my time is (mostly) my own. I guess what I have is a bad case of cabin fever. I want to ride my bike somewhere! I want to get my hands in the dirt and plant something! But it’s currently 14 degrees with a 20 MPH wind – so I’ll set those longings aside and be happy with what is. I have a free afternoon with all sorts of possibilities at hand, and I don’t want to waste it…

No comments: